Thursday, August 28, 2008

Joe Biden and the American Way

I watched Joe Biden's acceptance speech last night. It was easy to get caught up in the passion and the excitement of the moment. He wasn't the best speaker I have ever seen but he was sincere and the speech was well written. His son's introduction of him was eloquent and heartfelt. Joe Biden said something that caught my attention and struck me personally about Americans and how we understand that if we don't like the way things are, there is always the opportunity to make a change. There is so much poverty and violence around the world and in our backyards. There is so much sadness in so many homes and lives. Biden talked about trying to bring back the middle class, trying to create the opportunity for his children to live a better life than he lived. That is the American Dream isn't it, that anyone in this county can achieve success, can change her life for the better? What a luxury and a gift to have that as an integral part of our national subconscious. When I think about all of things I want to be different with my life, my weight, my company, my family...I know I have the power to change it if I put my mind to it. I know the opportunities are there. If we all put our minds to work together and if Obama/Biden are able to make the changes they are so committed to once in office, maybe my children and grandchildren will be able to live a better life than we do today.

For today, I am inspired to live a bolder, brighter life by embracing what I really want for myself and my family and being committed to making a difference. It is easy to be complacent with what we have, but I want something better for all of us and I am willing to work for it. Are you?

No comments: